Photography GCSE - Art and Design - New Spec

Edexcel GCSE in Art & Design Photography

Delivery: - From  2016 To: 2018

ExamBoard and Code:  Edexcel GCSE in Art & Design Photography

QAN code: 601/8069/9 discount code KJ1

Assessment Overview: 

Photographymay be defined as the creative journey through the process of lens- and light-based media. This could include work created using film, video, digital imaging or light sensitive materials. With the developments of new affordable lens-based technologies, students should attempt to use the photographic mediums to explore and create a body of work, which develops and refines both the process and the concept. Students will also understand that Photography practitioners may work to client commissions within a commercial photography studio, or work as freelance photographers. They will need photo manipulation and graphic design skills, and good communication skills in order to liaise with clients and to promote themselves as photographers.

Students are required to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills outlined when undertaking work in Photography. All knowledge, understanding and skills will be assessed in both components.

There are many skills, techniques, materials, processes and concepts that are essential to all areas of study in Photography. In addition to any specialist requirements listed under the chosen area(s) of study, students should develop a practical knowledge and understanding of:

  •  the use of formal elements to communicate a variety of approaches
  •  the camera and its functions, including depth of field, shutter speed, focal points and viewpoints
  •  the application of observational skills to record from sources and communicate ideas
  •  the effects and creative potential of combining and manipulating different two-dimensional and three-dimensional materials and media
  •  the use of digital and/or non-digital applications.

60% of your grade is coursework where you will produce work based on a series of projects. The remaining 40% is awarded for your 10 hour exam which is sat at the end of the course.

Students cover the following assessment objectives during the course:

  • AO1 Develop ideas through investigations, demonstrating critical understanding of sources
  • AO2 Refine work by exploring ideas, selecting and experimenting with appropriate media, materials, techniques and processes
  • AO3 Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions as work progresses
  • AO4 Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and demonstrates understanding of visual language

Other notes:

Assessment and certification

  • Coursework.(60%)
  • Externally set task. 10hrs (40%)

GCSE results are awarded on the scale 1-9

Topic Planner (2015-16)

Term                  Topic

1                         Basic Photography skills

2                         Basic Photoshop skills

3                         Portrait

4                         Identity

5                         Surreal Landscape

6                         Apart and Together

Topic Planner (2016-2017)

Term                   Topic

1                         Mayor coursework Project

2                         Mayor coursework Project

3                         Exam preparation period

4                         Exam preparation period

5                         Exam

Top