Health & Social Care

Health & Social Care

OCR Cambridge National in Health and Social Care

The Health and Social Care Department is brand new as of September 2015.

We are offering the opportunity for our students to partake in an engaging, practical and inspiring course that aims to equip our students with a sound, specialist knowledge along with promoting key/functional skills for everyday use.


The course offers the students an interactive hands-on approach to learning covering a wide range of topics including:

Module 1: Essential values of care for use with individuals in care settings

  • Understand how to support individuals to maintain their rights
  • Understand the importance of the values of care and how they are applied
  • When values of care are not met (case studies – when things go wrong)
  • Understand how legislation impacts on care settings
  • Understand how personal hygiene, safety and security measures protect individuals


Module 2: Communicating and working with individuals in health, social care and early years settings

  • Learning how to communicate effectively (Including sign language/Makaton)
  • Understanding the personal qualities that contribute to effective care
  • Effective communication within a health, social care and early years setting


Module 3:Understanding body systems and disorders

  • Know how body systems work
  • Understand disorders that affect the body systems
  • Be able to interpret data obtained from measuring body rates with reference to the functioning body systems 


Module 4:Understanding the nutrients needed for good health

  • Know the dietary needs of individuals in each life stage
  • Be able to create dietary plans for specific dietary needs
  • Be able to produce nutritional meals for specific dietary requirements 


Assessment

The two year course comprises of four modules, the first is assessed by a one hour exam and is worth 25% of the final grade. The remaining 75% of the qualification is assessed via a coursework portfolio produced by the students.

The qualification is graded at Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*, this carries the same academic weight as a full GCSE at grades C,B, A and A*.

There is also a Level One element to the course which carries the same academic weight as a GCSE at grades D, E and F.

Due to the versatile nature of the course and the wide range of grades available this enables us to stretch and challenge our more able students whilst still being able to scaffold/support our lower ability pupils, ensuring inclusion for all.


Where can this lead?

The course has a natural progression to college at Level 3 (A Level) as well as giving the students the opportunity to explore a wide range of careers including:

  • Carer
  • Nursing
  • Paramedic
  • Socialworker
  • Nursery Nurse
  • Medical Assistant
  • Midwifery
  • Occupational Therapist
  • And many more! 


Qualification: Cambridge National in Health and Social Care

Exam board: OCR

Duration: 2 Years as an Option Subject


For further information contact:

Ms Sarah-Jane Bigby

Curriculum Lead for Health and Social Care

Sarah-jane.bigby@bexhillhigh.org


Top